Power outage preparation
We work to maintain a reliable power delivery system, but severe weather and other events sometimes cause power outages that require many hours and even days to address. Here are some tips to prepare for power outages:
Add our numbers to your cell phone:
- Power outage or electrical emergency: 800-662-4797
- Gas leak, odor or emergency: 800-261-5325
Assemble one and put it where it’s easy to find in the dark. Suggested items:
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Bottled water — an average person needs a half gallon a day
- Battery-operated radio and extra batteries
- Canned or dried food along with a hand-operated can opener
- First-aid kit
- Prescription medications
- Specialty items for infants, seniors or disabled family members
- Battery back-up that switches on automatically for your sump pump.
- Plug-in phone or cellular phone for emergencies. Cordless phones do not work during a power outage.
- Generator to power most important appliances. Test it every 30 days.
More about generators and using them safely
- Surge suppression devices to protect sensitive equipment when power returns.
- Security and alarm systems that may be affected.
- Safety of any pets.
- Card or board games to help pass the time.
- Dry ice for your refrigerator/freezer to keep items cold.
- Frozen jugs of water to use in your refrigerator or cooler, or to use for water.
Check on friends, neighbors and relatives, especially seniors or anyone with medical conditions.
Preparing for severe situations
If you have advance notice of severe storms or other conditions that may lead to extended power outages, consider taking these additional precautions:
- Set your freezer and refrigerator to colder temperature to help food stay safe longer.
- Fill up your vehicle’s gas tank (gas station pumps do not operate without power).
- Get cash (stores may not be able to accept credit or debit cards if power is out).
- Charge electronic devices, especially cell phones.
- Find out where emergency shelters are located should you need to leave your home.
- Get bottled water and other necessary items.