Children's safety


Electricity and natural gas are safe when used properly but can pose a danger if you and your children don’t know basic safety.


Teach your children energy safety

  • DO look all around you for power lines, and don’t climb trees, fly a kite or play with other toys around overhead lines.
  • DO stay away from substations, power poles and transformers at all times.
  • DO know the smell of natural gas — it smells a lot like rotten eggs. If you smell this in your home, immediately call We Energies.
  • DO install a carbon monoxide detector.
  • DO learn about the safe use of natural gas and electric appliances.
  • DON’T ever touch a power line of any kind. If you see a line hanging low or on the ground, immediately call We Energies.
  • DON’T release metallic balloons outdoors. They may touch electric lines, causing fires and outages.
  • DON’T put electrical appliances near water. Electricity + Water = DANGER.
  • DON’T put your fingers or any object in an electrical outlet.

Mr. Ouch sticker

Remember Mr. Ouch

Mr. Ouch is a sticker or sign attached to electric utility equipment — usually green transformer boxes — that warns children and adults of hazardous voltage. So, when you see a Mr. Ouch sign, stay away, and tell others around the area to do the same.


Your nose knows

Natural gas smells like rotten eggs. If you smell natural gas, do not use a light switch or even a telephone. Get everyone out of the house and call We Energies for help.

e-SMARTkids

Learn to use electricity and natural gas safely and wisely by using games and information on a website made for kids, parents and teachers.
Go to e-SMARTkids